Friday, May 18, 2012

Would Someone Please Stop This Treadmill?!

We knew it was coming all year long.  The dreaded 8th grade Community Service Project.  And now here it is, only one week of school left to go, and my darling daughter is still trying to get it done.  Is it just me, or do the last few weeks of the school year drive everyone bonkers?

First of all, why should the community service project be dreaded at all?  What's so bad about learning to do your part to help out in your community?  Nothing, actually.  In truth, I really love this project.  I think it's wonderful in that it teaches kids that they are needed and that they are never too young to pitch in somewhere, somehow.  It teaches them how to seek out opportunities for serving, and to maybe even get a little creative with it.  It promotes empathy and compassion, and hopefully cultivates a desire to give back and to help others.  No, nothing at all wrong with this project!

The problem, I hate to admit, starts right here at home.  We are so scheduled, maybe even over-scheduled, that it is really difficult and even somewhat stressful trying to fill the required 10 hours.  I was thinking the other day that it sure would be nice if the project could be stretched out over two of the 6-week grading periods instead of just one.  Then I had to catch myself.  Should it really be this hard to find 10 hours over the course of six whole weeks in which to help others?  I mean really, it feels kind of shameful.

I'm happy that my children have been involved in athletics, church activities, Bible studies, the Young Life ministry, and all the other things that they do.  They are all positive things which have helped them to grow and develop into wonderul young ladies. But I sometimes wonder if I have failed them as a mom by allowing them to keep their days booked to the point that it is difficult and stressful to fit in time for other worthwhile things, or those unexpected interruptions which often end up being the most meaningful moments of all.

I was just with a couple of girlfriends who were talking about the sense of entitlement that is prevalent among so many of today's young people.  What better way to combat that than teaching them the value of community service?  I don't want to send a message to my girls that doing our part to help our community should be low on the priority list, something to do only when it fits neatly into our jam-packed schedules, but sometimes I feel like we're on a treadmill that keeps getting faster.  How do I slow it down??
Hannah and her friend Genna conducting a food/supply drive at Kroger for victims of domestic & sexual violence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture of those two girls. I totally agree with you about the treadmill. I don't remember being this busy when I was in school. They have the same amount of hours in a day as we did. I was involved in extra curricular activities as well. But you know it is bad when you hear a 12 year old talk about how time flies. I don't think we are failing our kids by being too busy, we just want our girls to experience as much as they can while they are young...RIGHT? Let me know when you find a way to dial back the speed. Especially since our oldest are about to be seniors.

Angie said...

Okay, I didn't intend to be "anonymous". I am Angie Anderson.

Mary K said...

I got thrown off the treadmill when we somewhat suddenly moved to AU. I didn't even know I was on the treadmill. But a slower life pace is really worth it! I may not have learned this lesson as It is not only the norm, but encouraged in America. There s a value to being able to help others when THEY need it and not when we can fit it in to our schedules. And often we are too busy to even look up and see that they need help. Living in a community means working as a team. It's good to be "bored". Then we can take time to truly look around and see where we are needed.