Friday, August 16, 2013

A Burger With a Side of Tears

It was supposed to be a quick trip to the grocery store, an easy grab and go.  Instead, I wasted a full five minutes just standing in the meat department, pretending to peruse  packages of ground beef.  I must have looked like quite the comparison shopper, but anyone who ventured close would have seen that I was really blubbering like a complete fool and trying to hide my face from public view.

Two days earlier we had moved our eldest daughter into her freshman dorm at college nearly six hours away.  It was difficult for all of us, but I managed the fewest amount of tears and had kept my emotions fairly well under control since returning home.  That is, until I tried to buy the blasted meat.

Normally if we're grilling burgers, I like to buy the ground beef and season and form the patties myself.  But this time I was in a hurry, so I thought I would just pick up a package of pre-formed patties. Big mistake.  The patties came in packages of four.  We are a family of four, but with one at college there are only three of us at home.  And just like that, I was overcome with an avalanche of tears I had been fighting back for days.  Right there in Kroger.  In the meat department.  With hamburger patties in my hand.

It took a few minutes for me to collect myself and make it to the front of the store, red face and all, to check out.  Of course my neighbor would be there, and of course knowing we had just taken Kaelie to school very sweetly asked how we were adjusting to life as a family of three.  Life really is all about timing, isn't it?  More tears, and I know I mumbled something and tried to smile, then high-tailed it out of there with my four-pack of burgers before I could run into anyone else.

Another week has passed, and all in all I think we're doing pretty well.  My daughter is having a great time and settling in well at school and just completed her first week of classes.  It's hard to be sad when I see how excited she is to be starting this next phase of her life journey.  But more importantly, I know, I KNOW, that she is going to soar.

The best reassurance about that I could have ever received came in the gift she gave me for my birthday last month.  It's a canvas wall-hanging with verses from 1 Corinthians 13, known as the "love chapter" in the Bible.

The wall-hanging reads "Love is patient, Love is kind.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails."

It's a beautiful passage of Scripture, and I, like many others, had it read it my wedding.  But here's the best part about this birthday gift.  Kaelie told me she remembered it because one time a few years ago when she and her sister were fighting I made them get out their Bibles, look up and read this passage and think about how they were treating one another.

Honestly, I have no recollection of doing that.  Ever.  But the fact that she remembers and it obviously had an impact is all that matters.  The fact that she would later give me these words on my birthday just a few weeks before leaving for college spoke volumes to me.  Through this one simple gift and this lovely passage of Scripture, God reminded me that she is well-prepared.  Our daughter is going out into the world wrapped in the love of her family, her church, and her God, and His love, especially,  will never fail her.

To my friends who will be taking their "babies" off to college in the coming days, a word of advice.  Stick to salad, it's healthier than a burger anyway.  Better yet, feast on the Word of God.  There's really no better comfort food!




No comments: