Monday, July 21, 2008

Stuck at Home Base



"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:16-18)

God gave me this verse tonight while I was sitting on my front porch, all alone, feeling sorry for myself. You see, while I am sitting here typing these words Kaelie is playing in the finals of the state Dixie softball tournament and I am missing it. Not by choice, mind you, but because I'm on the DL ("disabled list," a term I picked up from years of listening to my husband talk baseball).


Yesterday morning I woke up and I could feel the familiar pain beginning in the back of my neck. I tried to be careful all day, but the longer I sat in the bleachers cheering the team on as they won last night in the semi-finals, the more painful it became. Today it has been excruciating, and my doctor thinks my herniated disc is rearing its ugly head. His office is less than a mile from my house, and every bump in the road on the way there today was agonizing. I knew there was no way I could handle the two-hour round trip between home and the softball tournament.

My sweet Kaelie was so understanding and we made Joey promise to call at the end of every inning with updates. In fact, he just called to let me know that it is scoreless after the first. Oh, how I wish I was there! These kinds of opportunities don't come around often in a child's life, if at all. I think that's why God gave me this verse. It is, after all, HER opportunity, not mine. She's going to sieze it and cherish it whether I'm there or not, as she should. I will find joy in knowing that she gets a chance to play for a state title. I will pray for her and her team, for their safety and sportsmanship, and despite my painful circumstances at the moment, I will give thanks that she is healthy and strong and able to get out there and compete.

What an amazing God we serve! He loves us way too much to let us sit around and wallow in self-pity. Don't ya just love him?!

Is there a time that he has pulled you out of a pit of self-pity? Click on "comments" at the bottom of this post and tell me about it...I love to hear other peoples' stories about the things God has done!

Oh, just to update. Hannah's district championship team also got to play in the state tournament for the 9-10 year-old age division. After losing their first game, they came back for a strong win in the second. They were eliminated on Saturday, however, after losing their third game. They were heartbroken, but we were so very proud of them for making it to state and giving it their all! And Hannah was able to close out her season with a great hit in the last game, scoring the first of her team's two runs!
Okay, soon I'm going to need toothpicks to prop my eyelids open. I guess the painkillers and muscle relaxers are kicking in so I better go. Who knows what I might write... :)

A quick footnote: Joey and Kaelie just called to let me know they lost. The final score was 0-6 against a team that was undefeated throughout the tournament. Apparently Kaelie made an awesome leaning, backhanded catch in left field to end an inning...wish I had seen that! Sooo, State runners-up! Not to shabby if you ask me! Way to go Blacksburg!






2 comments:

Celly B said...

Tracy,
What a great verse! I am learning that it is so difficult to give thanks in all circumstances, but once I'm able to submit, it's so much better! Sorry you had to miss your daughter's game, but isn't it wonderful that today's technology can keep you updated via cell phone?

Thanks for your comments on my blog. In Blogger, if you want to add more than one picture, there is a link for "Add another image" right above the browse button. I've been able to upload five at a time this way. Then, if you have more you want to add, you just repeat the steps.

Tracy said...

Thank you for the info...I'm definitely going to give it a try!
Blessings,
Tracy