Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Mothering Mishap

Not one of my better parenting moments, to be sure. Just after walking in the door from a lunch meeting this afternoon, there is drama in the house over the kids' afternoon plans. I, in my motherly wisdom, conclude that Kaelie has manipulated Hannah and tried to orchestrate things to go her way. I angrily tell Kaelie that I don't appreciate her attitude, her unwillingness to be helpful long enough for me to attend my meeting and Joey to get the lawn mowed, or the way that she has manipulated her sister, to which she angrily responds "how have I manipulated my sister?" before storming into her bedroom.

It was the perfect demonstration of Proverbs 15:1, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." If I had only taken a gentle approach to the situation the whole episode surely would have gone a different, and better way.

It only took a few minutes for me to start feeling guilty. I had not even been home, for heaven's sake. How in the world could I know what had transpired or what the kids had said to one another? I had been totally unfair in accusing Kaelie that way. I apologized to her, of course, and she gave me a hug and a kiss and assured me of her forgiveness.

Contrary to popular belief, we moms do not have eyes in the back of our heads and even though we sometimes think we do, we really don't know everything. I'm so grateful that our Heavenly Father does! Proverbs 15:3 says "The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good." Because of that, I can trust his judgement to be right and his discipline to be fair. I just need to remember to seek his wisdom before dishing out my own judgement and discipline where my kids are concerned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing. Are you sure you don't have eyes in the back of your head?
Lubbooo,
Me