Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shelter in the Storm


Greetings! To those of you who have become regular readers of my blog, let me start this post with an apology! I have been such a slacker about blogging lately. Not because I've lost interest or haven't wanted to, it's just that other things have been demanding my attention. Anyway, please forgive me. It's good to be back!

Today there was a story I just had to share. As I knelt down to pray this morning, thunder began to rumble off in the distance, and soon the rain that had been falling lightly began coming down harder and harder. As it did, our golden retriever, Ginger, who is terrified of thunderstorms, ran to her usual hiding place behind the couch.
As I continued my conversation with God (out loud), the thunder got louder, and even with my eyes closed I could see the flashes of lightening. Next thing I knew, Ginger came scurrying out from behind the couch. She tucked her head against my leg and then laid down as close to me as she could get. I held her close and stroked her, and she seemed to calm down, even as the storm rumbled on outside.

I couldn't help but wonder whether Ginger sensed the nearness of our God, her Creator? I have never known her to come out from behind the couch in a thunderstorm, even when the whole family is in the room trying to console her! I call her Ginger the chicken-dog. Psalm 61:4 says "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings." When I started my prayers, I had asked God to come and sit with me. Do you suppose Ginger came out because she felt the safety of his presence? Feel free to post a comment, I'd love to know what you think!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

What a sweet pic of Gingie. Yes, I believe so - dogs are very sensitive. God Bless the "beasts and the children" and you too! Love, Big Sis