Monday, March 28, 2011

Call Me an Egg-head!

This morning I woke up with my to-do list already running through my mind.  Nevertheless, I was determined to make it a great day, and a successful one as far as my food plan is concerned.  After I ushered everyone out the door, I surveyed the fridge and pantry and wondered what in the world I would eat for breakfast.  I'm really trying to cut back on the carbs, and I realized that's about all I eat for breakfast.

Finally, I decided that since there were plenty of eggs in the fridge I would go ahead and boil six.  That way I would have a ready-made breakfast for the next several days.  I put them on the stove to boil and decided to let the multi-tasking begin.

First stop, the laundry room.  I started the first load of the day and before I could make it out of the basement the computer beckoned.  I sat down to do a quick check of my email.  That led to sending three replies, and then reading a really long story that someone forwarded to me.  I don't usually read those forwards, I get a million and who has the time?  But this one actually caught my attention so I sat and read it to the end.

Next it was on to a check of my Facebook.  I sent a couple of happy birthday wishes, responded to a message in my inbox, posted on a friend's wall, then spent some time just scrolling through my newsfeed.
I have no idea how much time passed.  It was the smell that finally pulled me from the Facebook vortex.

"What on earth is that?," I wondered aloud.  And that's when my stomach growled, reminding me that I had not eaten breakfast because it was still boiling on the stove!

I have never taken the stairs in my house so fast in my life!  I raced to the kitchen to find smoke beginning to curl up from the pot, now completely dry with six rock-hard eggs adhering to the bottom!  After I cooled them down in some cold water, I broke a couple open.  Those bad boys were charred almost halfway through!  You can just imagine the smell in my house! But don't, seriously, you really don't want to know!

Once again, the Holy Spirit decided to use this unfortunate incident to teach me a lesson.  The number one item on my to-do list when I woke up this morning was to finish working on my Bible study.  I'm a group leader so it was imperative to get it done.  I had it all spread out on the kitchen table with plans to enjoy my eggs and juice while I worked on it.  However, I let the computer take over my brain and suck me into the emailing/Facebook vortex.  Now don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying that email and social networking sites are wrong.  But they can be major distractions that keep us from the things that we really should be doing.  For me, they ended up derailing my two most important things of the morning, my Bible study and my healthy eating plan!  Not the way I wanted to start my day, or my week, for that matter.

Proverbs 4:25-27 says "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
do not swerve to the right or the left;  keep your foot from evil."

The sad fact is that I even spent some quality time in prayer before all this happened.  I need to remember though, to daily ask the Lord to order my steps and help me keep my eyes fixed on him.  On my own it's too easy to let the seemingly good things of the world distract me from the better things of the kingdom!  Those are the times I can end up with egg on my face, instead of in my belly!

No comments: