Friday, March 25, 2011

In Pursuit of Weakness

It just figures that I would choose one of the most challenging and emotionally topsy-turvy weeks ever to embark on this new journey of healthier eating and (hopefully) weight loss.  When you are an emotional eater like I am, high-stress days usually mean high-intake of comfort foods and chocolate!

I won't go into details of the cause of the stress.  That would take a book, not a blog post!  The point is that at this point, I am feeling just about mentally and emotionally wrung-out!  A big 'ol bowl of double fudge chocolate ice cream with hot fudge on top would do quite nicely right about now, thank you very much!

All I could do this morning was pray "Lord, help me be strong."  And do you know what?  I received an immediate response!  How often does that happen?

It came in the form of a question:

"Do you really want to pray to be strong?"

"Um, what?"

Silence.

"Okaaay, there are other people who really need me to be strong right now."

Silence.

And then it dawned on me.  "Oh Lord, help me to be weak.  I need and want to be utterly and completely dependent on you, because it's only from that place of dependence that I find wisdom, peace, and rest.  It's only from that place of dependence that I am able to be any good for anyone else.  Thank you for reminding me of that.  So yes, Lord, help me to be WEAK!"

As soon as the words were out of my mouth I felt much calmer, just in knowing that the Sovereign Lord who created the heavens and set the earth on its foundations certainly could and would work in this situation.  How gracious of Him to settle my spirit by whispering into my ear this morning, even teaching me how to pray!

So I guess it really is no coincidence at all that I started on this new personal journey during this most difficult and stressful week.  It's not a journey that I can make on my own, but only by holding on to the hand of the One who promised to help me every step of the way.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power my rest on me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blog, Tracy! As I finish my coffee and head out for a day of teenagers and sports and teaching one to drive (aaahhh)I'll keep your thoughts in mind and try to allow God to be the ruler of my thoughts and actions today. Keep writing...you have been given a gift!

Debbie Baucom

Tracy said...

Praise God! And thanks for the kind words, Debbie!