Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A New Season



"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
(1 Peter 2:9)

We have two beautiful maple trees in our backyard. The only problem is, they are among the last trees in the Spring to get their leaves, and among the first in the Fall to lose them.

For the last couple of weeks, I watched every day as the trees budded. It seemed to take forever for the buds to begin to open and the leaves to very slowly begin to unfold and grow. Then one day, I looked out the window and marveled at how the leaves seemed to have appeared overnight, and the trees suddenly appeared vibrant and alive.

Today I realized that I have been very much like those trees. My world seemed to stop for a little while upon learning in January that I have MS. As I struggled to come to grips with it both physically and emotionally, I felt like I was in some sort of dormant state, a holding pattern if you will.

This morning, when my friend Barbara asked me how I'm doing, I was able to respond that I'm doing really well. I told her that I'm feeling better physically, and that mentally and emotionally I'm no longer in a place where it's constantly occupying my thoughts. I feel really good.

"A couple of months ago," I said, "I wasn't there. It's taken some time to be able to let go of it and say that it is what it is and it's okay."

As I spoke those words to Barbara, I could see the leaves on the maple trees outside my kitchen window blowing in a gentle breeze, and that's when I realized the parallel with my life these last few months. It has taken time and effort, but just as winter has changed to spring and the earth has come back to life, God has brought me through a harsh season as well, and I want to enjoy this life I've been given!

It felt really good to be able to say "I feel really good," and to say it with complete sincerity. It almost caught me by surprise, kind of like the leaves that seemed to have opened overnight. I'm so thankful to God, the one who "called me out of the darkness into his wonderful light."

"The Lord will comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing." (Isaiah 51:3)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Beautifully spoken! You made your big sister cry. I'm so happy you've come to this place both physically and emotionally. Of course, I always knew you would, but I'm glad it's happened now!