Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tragedy Strikes Steven Curtis Chapman

I just read a truly heartbreaking news story...Steven Curtis Chapman's 5 year-old daughter was struck by a car in the driveway of the family home yesterday and died. The driver of the car was her teenage brother who did not see her.

My heart just broke for this family when I saw the headline. I can't imagine the anguish of the parents, and especially this boy who will bear the weight of this his entire life. I pray that somehow, someday he will be able to lay this burden down at the foot of the cross and let Jesus heal him from the guilt and the pain that he is bound to suffer.

If you aren't familiar with Steven Curtis Chapman, he is a 5-time Grammy award-winner and he has also won more than 50 Dove Awards from the Gospel Music Association. He is a top-selling artist in the Christian music industry.

The article I read said that the 5 year-old, Maria, was one of three children that Chapman and his wife adopted from China. They also have three biological children. The Chapmans have done mission work in Chinese orphanages, and established a foundation and ministry called Shaohannah's Hope to financially assist couples in adoption.

I want to post the lyrics to Chapman's most recent hit, "Cinderella." Could it be that the Lord has been preparing him for this tragedy?

"She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me Saying "Dad, I need you
There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing

Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I danced with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with Cinderella
I don't wanna miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of her dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing

Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I danced with CinderellaWhile she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with CinderellaI don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone
She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing

Oh, please, Daddy, please?"
So I danced with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone"

Please pray for Steven Curtis Chapman and his family, especially their teenage son. Pray that God will enfold them in his loving embrace, that they will feel the prayers of the thousands of people around the world whose lives they have touched who are sure to be lifting them up, that they will find comfort and peace in the wake of this horrible accident, and that their faith will be stengthened rather than shaken.

"...For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones."
Isaiah 49:13

No comments: