Monday, June 30, 2008

Big Girls do Cry

It doesn't seem possible. We've graduated to all double-digits in our house. My baby turned 10 yesterday. How often have I heard the wisdom offered up from those older and wiser than I to "enjoy them while you can because they'll be grown and gone in the blink of an eye." It's so cliched but I'm finding it to be so very true, especially this year with Hannah kissing the single digits goodbye and Kaelie becoming a teenager this Saturday!

There are still some little-girl remnants remaining though. Today Hannah left for a four-day trip to church camp. Even though she went to this same camp last summer and loved it, she was a wreck about leaving home. She went to bed at 8:30 last night but was up and down until midnight, nervous and crying and complaining of a stomach ache because of the stress.

This morning she was doing much better until we were on the way to catch the bus at the church and she called her daddy on the cell phone to tell him goodbye. I listened as her voice started to quiver and catch, and in the rearview mirror I saw the tears sliding down her cheeks. She had pulled herself together by the time she got out of the car, but then the group was half an hour late leaving so it turned into a long, drawn-out goodbye. I don't know if that was better or worse for her.

Just before they took off, she reached out for one last hug and I wasn't sure if she was going to let go. I patted her on the chest and asked "Who goes with you wherever you go, Hannah?" She pointed at me. I looked into her eyes and said "My love certainly goes with you, but more importantly than me, who goes with you?" She looked upward then and I knew she understood.

"That's right. Don't you forget that even though Mommy and Daddy can't be there, Jesus goes with you no matter where you go. He is always there." At that, she nodded her head and I saw the slightest bit of a smile and I knew she would be okay. She still made me promise to stand in the parking lot and wave until the bus was completely out of sight, which I was glad to do!

So, if you think of it, please say a little prayer for Hannah this week, my baby in the double-digits!

"This is my command--be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments: