Friday, April 11, 2008

Frenetic Pacing

Peace and quiet. That's what I am enjoying immensely this morning. I think I really needed it because yesterday was crazy...good, but crazy.

They day actually started off great. I got to watch Hannah perform her skit in the school variety show. She did such a great job and totally brought down the house. Everyone was laughing so hard and really got a huge kick out of it. The amazing thing to me is that she even did it. Just a couple of years ago she was still so pitifully shy that NOTHING could have gotten her up on that stage!
Okay, that was in the morning, then I had to run some errands, and by the time I got home it was almost time for Hannah to get home from school. I immediately then had to get her to a friend's house so that I could make the 30-minute drive to Kaelie's first track meet (last week's was rained out). I made it just in time to watch her second and third jumps in the long jump. She ended up placing fourth out of a whole bunch of girls from five different schools!
Then I waited...and waited...and waited some more. Her next event, the 800, wasn't for another two hours. Meanwhile, I'm watching the minutes tick by and beginning to panic. I had promised Hannah I would make it back to the school in time to see her do her skit again for the nighttime show for families. Fortunately, she was the very last act in the show, but I knew I was going to be cutting it close. Joey had gotten her there and I was supposed to meet him, but the longer the track meet dragged on the more worried I became about making it.
Finally, the gun sounded for the 800 and the runners took off. I wasn't leaving without watching Kaelie in this race, especially since I HAD seen Hannah's skit in the morning show. It was so exciting to watch Kaelie give it all she had and stride across the finish line to a strong sixth place finish.

I gave her a quick hug to let her know how proud I was of her, then dashed off to run my own 800 across a field and a parking lot to my car, which I had to park much too far away! I think that's what did me in. By the time I got to the car and sat down, the left side of my body burned so badly it felt like it was on fire. I did make it to the school in time to watch Hannah, but I paid the price for all the running around because last night the MS symptoms walloped me pretty good.

This morning after everyone else had left the house, I was thanking God for what he is doing in the lives of my children. As I reflected on the events of yesterday, I also asked him to help me learn how to pace myself, because unfortunately I am still paying the price this morning. That's when the Holy Spirit spoke this verse into my heart: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)

I did put my whole heart into all the running around I was doing for my kids yesterday. But I think the Holy Spirit was trying to remind that I need to put the same energy into my relationship with the Lord as I do into my family relationships. Was I doing all that running around to please them, or to please God? No doubt, I was trying to please my girls. I truly wanted to watch both of them in what they were doing, but I also wanted to make sure I didn't disappoint either one of them.

I think this morning that the Lord wanted me to realize that perhaps the key to pacing myself will be doing all things "as working for the Lord, rather than men." When I do that, he'll help me prioritize and take care of the things that really need to get done, and learn to let go of the things that don't.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have wonderful children.