Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Voice Lessons

Okay, here's the thing. I know that I have a clear calling from God to preach the Word. I have responded to that calling by promising to speak at every opportunity. I have claimed Psalm 71:14-15, "But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long."

Tomorrow morning I have a speaking engagement scheduled at a MOPS group. This morning I woke up with my voice sounding awfully gravelly, and as the day wore on I lost it completely. I called my friend at the MOPS group, she prayed for me over the phone and has rallied a couple of other prayer warriors as well. It's already 9:30 at night and I'm supposed to be there at 9:30 in the morning. If you read this between now and then, please pray that in these next 12 hours the Lord will restore my voice!

Over and over, I have felt convinced that God has been trying to humble me, to remind me "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit." (Zechariah 4:6) I will accomplish nothing on my own, or by my own abilities, but only by the power of his Spirit working in me and through me. Is this the lesson he is still trying to drive home?

If so, I get it! There's certainly nothing I'm going to be able to do about this voice. Only his healing will restore it and enable me to stand before that group of women to deliver this message. If he chooses not to, I (and the MOPS leaders who invited me to come and who are relying on me for their program) will have to accept that and trust, once again, that his ways are higher.

I'll follow up with another post tomorrow to let you know what happens. In the meantime, please pray!

No comments: