Monday, April 28, 2008

A Serious Dilemma

I have a dilemma, therefore, be aware that this post will be asking for some audience participation. In order to participate, you will need to click on the word comments at the end of the post. If you are not a registered user, it will ask you to follow a couple of very quick and simple steps to get registered. Don't let this intimidate or stop you! You will not receive any unwanted email or spam, it's very easy and painless, I promise. Later, if you want to post comments on this blog or others in the future, all you have to do is enter your username (which is usually just your email address) and password and that's it.

For those of you who have already posted comments to me, thank you! It is so encouraging to me to receive your feedback and to know that I'm not just carrying on a running conversation with myself! "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage each other--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:25)

Okay, here's the dilemma, and it's actually a serious issue. Yesterday I found out that there is a homeless man living under a bridge very near my house. It's actually less than a quarter of a mile from the walking trail that surrounds my neighborhood. The man is a registered sex offender, convicted in 1996 of aggravated sexual battery. Last year, he received another conviction for failing to register as a sex offender. Well, he's now on the state's online Sex Offender Registry, and his address is actually listed as "homeless" and names the bridge where he has taken up residence.

This morning, I made it a point to drive under the bridge and sure enough, I could see what appeared to be a sleeping bag high up on a concrete ledge in the corner.

The dilemma is this...how does one behave with compassion towards this man who is presumably minding his own business and just trying to survive? Should I be ashamed to say that I am fearful? After all, I have two young daughters that use that walking trail often to run back and forth to friends' houses in the neighborhood.

Do you see where I'm going with this? As a Christian, I feel conflicted and ashamed over my judgemental, fearful attitude towards this person. Jesus tells us to take care of the poor and the homeless, and while I may not be dangerous, I'm every bit the sinner. But as a parent, I feel justified in feeling this way and I want someone to do something about it. Desperate people often do desperate things, and if you ask me, living under a bridge is a pretty desperate situation! Not to mention the fact that his picture online is pretty creepy-looking!

So I guess my questions are, how would you feel? What would you do? Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this situation?

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi, Dilemma, indeed. I believe that yes, God calls us to be kind and compassionate, and yet he also gave us a brain for wisdom. He also made us human and thus, understands a natural initial fearful reaction. He entrusted you with the care of your sweet daughters, and would expect you to protect them as best you can. Personally, I wouldn't want my kids (or you, either) walking through that wooded area alone while he is still there - only with others with them. The Lord doesn't ask us to be stupid! That doesn't mean you are hating the man, or wishing him ill. You can still pray for him, and For God to guide you in resolving this situation. It only means you are using your God given wisdom to do the best you can to take care of your family. Just my humble opinion. Love, Big Sis

Tracy said...

Yeah, none of us are going to be heading out alone on the trail while he's around. It's kind of creepy also that the couple of times I've driven under the bridge he hasn't been there, but his stuff is. So then you wonder, where is he? I guess I was mainly just bothered by my attitude towards him, just totally judgemental and negative. I really don't like feeling that way towards people.

rwreed said...

How about a men's prayer meeting with the offender at the bridge? Bring a pickup truck to throw the guy and his stuff in at the conclusion of the meeting and take him to a better location, like West Virginia in the mountains so he can't find his way back. If he doesn't go the first day, hold daily meetings with more and more dads and a friendly (to you) law officer until he accepts the invitation, gets in the truck and is taken to a distant place.