Thursday, March 6, 2008

From MS to Emmaus

With Easter approaching, I was drawn today to the story in Luke 24: 13-35, where the ressurrected Jesus appears to two of his followers as they are walking from Jerusalem to a village called Emmaus. The men are sorrowfully discussing the events of the last three days, Jesus' arrest, crucifixtion, and the fact that some of their women had discovered Jesus' empty tomb that very morning.
The passage says that Jesus himself approached and began walking with them, but they were kept from recognizing him, even when he asked them what they were discussing.
As they fill him on the details, they tell him they had hoped that Jesus was the one who was going to redeem Israel.
Jesus's response is "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?"
Then Jesus begins teaching them all the Scriptures concerning himself, beginning with Moses and continuing through all the prophets.

As I read, I found myself sympathizing with the two travelers. They had high hopes for what Jesus would do as the king who would rescue Israel from her enemies and restore her to glory. But their ideas about his kingship didn't mesh with his. They wanted a mighty military warrrior, not a suffering servant.

Eventually, the three arrive in Emmaus, where the men urge Jesus to stay with them. It is there, as he gives thanks, breaks the bread and gives it to them, that their eyes are finally opened and they recognize him.

Now, I have read and heard this story dozens of times, but today it spoke to me in a new way. For the last two months on my new journey with multiple sclerosis, I confess that I have often looked to Christ to be my mighty warrior king who would not only slay the demons of self-pity, anger, grief, etc., but who would take away the suffering and restore me to glory. Did you get that? I said "restore ME to glory."

Now I'm seeking forgiveness. It's sooo not about my glory, but all about HIS. As he told the two travelers, "Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?"

Any suffering I may experience cannot even begin to compare to what Christ experienced. However, he is teaching me that my suffering, just as his, does have a purpose. And just as Christ came alongside the two travelers in the midst of their pain to teach them and open their eyes so they could truly KNOW him, so Christ has come alongside me and is revealing himself so that I too, may know him more fully.

What a gift, what a humbling! 1 Peter 5: 5-6 says "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." Romans 8 tells us that those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God, his children. "Now if we are his children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

What a privilege, to think that we may share in the glory of Christ! No, thankfully, it's not about my glory. His is so much better, his is complete, his is forever. Praise God for loving me enough to humble me and to come alongside me and teach me on this road from MS to Emmaus.

No comments: