Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Blanket

Yesterday I got together with my friend Kim, who I had not seen in many months. It was nice to be able to catch up with her. Kim is always so open with her faith, and I like to think that we have a mutually encouraging relationship.

A couple of weeks ago, when I told Kim about my MS diagnosis over the phone, I shared with her how God has been reminding me constantly that "his grace is sufficient," and how that verse has become reality in my life. (see my earlier post, "I Finally Did It!") So yesterday Kim presents me with a beautiful, amazingly soft and cozy blanket which she had had embroidered with "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2nd Corinthians 12:9. This time, it was my turn to cry, because through that gift I felt God's grace wash over me and envelope me like a warm blanket yet again.

The truth is, God is at work in our lives every day, whether we choose to see it or acknowledge him or not. It's a shame that so often it takes something traumatic or life-altering for us to pay attention and draw closer to God. Today, I challenge you to begin saying a prayer that I say every morning. You'll be amazed at the ways in which God will answer, and the many places you will begin seeing him working in your own life.

The prayer is very simple:
Lord, today please give me eyes that see you, ears that hear you, a mouth to boldly proclaim you, and a heart to follow hard after you. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: