Monday, March 17, 2008

Life Lessons from the Kitchen

As I lay on the couch watching the evening news, I could hear her bustling around in the kitchen, singing as she worked. The smell of bacon wafted into the living room, and as my mouth began to water and my stomach began to growl, I fought the temptation to go and see if I could help her out and speed things along a little.

Finally, her voice rang out, "Breakfast is served!" As I scrambled into the kitchen, I saw that not only had she prepared a beautiful supper of pancakes and bacon, but she had the table perfectly set. My 9 year-old daughter led me to my seat and blessed our meal, then watched expectantly as I took my first bite. I truly meant it when I said they were some of the best pancakes I had ever eaten. After all, when you know something is prepared with love, nothing could be better!

So last night once again, God showered me with his grace, this time through Hannah's loving actions. At the same time, he also showed me a glitch in my parenting by reminding me that we are to "carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2) My children are part of the body of Christ, and they want to help carry my burdens. In my efforts to protect them and guard their emotions and keep their lives as normal as possible, I've been preventing them from doing that. How shortsighted I have been! Their mom has just recently found out she has MS. How much more they probably want to help me than even all my friends who have reached out to help!

Hannah, in her 9 year-old wisdom, went to her guidance counselor last week for some advice. I'm afraid I might have hurt her feelings or made her feel excluded earlier in the week when I asked Kaelie, who is 12, to heat up something for dinner because I was too tired from an outing at the mall. When Hannah asked if she could help too, I told her no, that Kaelie would do it. The truth is, I was too tired to referee the argument that I was sure would erupt with the two of them trying to fix dinner together. And besides, Kaelie seemed pleased that I had asked her. Anyway, the guidance counselor suggested that Hannah try cooking some meals too, or finding other ways that the two of us can just spend some time together.

You know, sometimes we give our kids so little credit. They really can handle and do so much more than we think they can, and they want to feel like valued, contributing members of our family. I'm grateful to God for teaching me this lesson in such a gentle and precious way. And I'm especially grateful for the two special daughters He has blessed my life with...the very best gifts of all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop making me cry, man! You really need to just get this published. I can't believe what you have already written so far! What sweet girls. It is so neat to read this because I don't get the daily slice of your life anymore, so it is good, but it also makes me miss ya'll. Love, Tiff