Friday, March 14, 2008

The First Shot

Well, it's done. My first shot is out to the way, and it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be. Actually, I can honestly say that I didn't even feel the needle, so there was no pain involved. Whether or not that was because I was injecting on my left side, which is already so numb and tingly, remains to be seen! I guess I'll find that out when I switch to my right side for the next shot day after tomorrow.

Even though it didn't hurt physically, I do have to admit to some emotional pain and tears. I was so glad Joey was with me. He's such a source of strength for me, and for those of you who know him I'm sure you are aware that he always knows just when to provide some comic relief! I always tell my girls to make sure they marry someone they can laugh a lot with. I really love that about my husband!

Of course my main source of strength comes from the Lord, and he came through for me again today with a verse from Isaiah, 41:10. I woke up thinking about it this morning, and it definitely carried me through. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

The first time I remember reading that verse was just before I got in my car to drive five hours to Virginia Beach for my dad's open heart surgery. My friend Lindy new how worried I was, and gave me a quick call before I hit the road. "I know you're heading out," she said, "so I'm just going to say Isaiah 41:10. Look it up when you get a chance."

Of course I looked it up immediately before I left, and recited it over and over during the drive and during the surgery. That's been about eight years ago, and that verse has stuck with me and comforted me throughout many storms and trials.

Friends, if you know someone who needs a word of comfort or encouragement from the Lord, please don't hold back. Don't be afraid to offer God's Word out of fear of rejection or ridicule. You don't know what a lifeline it may truly provide for that person. Lindy had no idea when she said the words "Isaiah 41:10" to me eight years ago what a difference it was going to make to me then, and the difference it is still making eight years later. I'm just thankful that she bothered to make the call.

Now I'm off to treat myself...I think a Starbucks light mocha frappacino is in order! After all, a little taste of chocolate can be good for the soul too!

No comments: